I start this with the Name of Allah, the most Merciful, and the Most Beneficial.
To begin with, have you ever wondered how a machine works? Let’s say we have a car and it’s missing its engine will it work? No right. It’s just one part missing but the entire thing stop working because of it. So the question comes up, do we have all that we need to speak to Allah? All the right tool to speak to him directly and feel that connection? Just like how a car without an engine is useless, our souls without prayers are dead. And then we wonder why we are always so sad, so depressed. If you look around the richest, the strongest of people are also depressed. Why? Because not only them but us, we are missing something in our soul.
We often look at our bodies, we improve our bodies but sadly we forget souls. And we eventually end up unbalancing ourselves. Just like how a river flows with pure water and one add’s chemicals to it it gets impure and whatever creature drinks it will die eventually. That’s how our souls are. When we lie, when we backbite, when we gossips, Slander or even end up commiting zina, you’ll see there is an imbalance in our souls. Just like when we wake up early and we are all cranky and we end up being super angry it shows that we are imbalance with ourselves. And therefore that’s where Islam comes!.
The purpose of Islam is to take us towards balancing. And only Allah alone can put that peace in your hearts to find that balance we eagerly need. Let me try to explain the above further. We lie, laying is bad, it’s not bad because Allah dislikes it only but it imbalances you. You see He (swt) has created this entire world. He is the master of the heavens and the hereafter. And if he says that so and so is bad for you. Why do we not listen? Let me give you an example: If I’m the owner of a Macbook and I made it. I discovered it and I’ve asked you not to use so and so parts. Will you listen to me? Well why wont you. I’m the creator, I’m the maker I clearly know it inside out and you don’t. While I have full knowledge of it you just have limited knowledge about it. If you end up listening you will stay away from the damage but if you don’t then that’s you nufs. Nufs Al Aamara- The part of your soul which pushes you to make desires your lord than your creator. Similarly it goes for this world and Allah the master of this world. He knows, he knows very well that committing whatever is forbidden will cause an imbalance and will cause us to move away from Him (swt). And that’s how it’s about everything we do, if Allah says something is haram, it’s not haram without a purpose. There is always, always a reason behind it. However the main question now comes. How do we stay away from this? How do we not let Nufs-Al Amara take over us?
Well the answer is prayer. Yes your Salah – The 5 obligatory prayers and if you will you can include that Night Salatul Layl prayer as well. However some of us don’t know how exactly to get closer to Allah. Most of us might feel ashamed of our past actions and are so ashamed that we don’t know how to even speak to Allah (swt). Well then remember take a step towards his and will come to you. Don’t be hopeless towards Allah. Because he is your master and if he doesn’t help you who else will?
Since Lylatul Qader is about to start. I’ve listed to down few ways one can inshaAllah find that concentration in their prayer. You see our concentration is limited. BUT if we train it well achieve that level of satisfaction one day. Therefore, these last blessed 10 nights can help you through.
1st – Wudu
Now we know Wudu is actually half of Imam and the other half is praying. You see one needs to work on their wudu before starting their prayer. There are various narrations by the Prophet (swa) which say when one washes a part of their body in wudu, it’s like the sins they committed with that part gets forgiven! Let me further explain:
- When you wash your hands : Remember, not to do any actions with your hands which may be hated by Allah. Rather try to use it to towards something good, Like giving charity. Make an intention that you wont hard any one with them rather Allah duas by raising your hands above for Him (swt) to grant your duas.
- You mouth- Make sure never to curse, gossip, or slander anyone. Never to hurt anyones feelings through the words which come through your tongue, rather speak well, with wisdom. Recite the Quran. And forbid speaking of anything which displeases Allah 9swt)
- Your Arms: Make sure they carry which is good and forbid which is hated by Allah. Like using them to give charity to the poor and not stealing.
- Your eyes and ears: Make sure you avoid seeding which is disgusting and forbidden, rather use your sight to look at the beautify of Allah’s creation, Nature and appreciate it. Use it to read the Quran to look at the verses and understand deeply the meaning behind each. Make sure not to listen to gossips, slander, or filthy words which can corrupt your mind and later you may not feel ashamed hearing them. Rather, listen to lecture, recitations anything which benefits you to be a better person.
- Your head: When you wash it, you make sure not to have bad intention behind your thoughts, rather have pure ones instead. Intentions towards doing good for yourself and other. And keeping a positive mind, rather than something baseless and negative.
- Your feet- When you wash them you try to make sure not to walk towards which is forbidden – Like a club, unlawful gathering, and so on. Rather walk towards a place of knowledge, place of Worship like the masjid and more importantly more towards your praying mat.
And therefore, you continue doing your wudu, which you wash each parts with such thoughts.
- Have Niyah of to whom you are about to speak. Remember he loves you, He loves you a lot. And he loves it the most when his servant asks him for something
- Ask Allah to begin you closer to him, to be more obedient to him
- Make sure you are praying in a quiet place.
- Make sure the temperature is not too cold nor to hot. Since while praying your mind will wonder again about the temperature
- Make sure the praying place is empty and you don’t have pictures around to distract you
- Make sure the room is a bit dark for better concentration of prayer.
- Make sure to keep your mobile phones, Laptops and other devices away. To avoid calls and message. Even if you may not receive it your mind will still wonder who is it from and what’s is about.
It’s Narrated by Imam Jafer Sadiq about prayer, he said : ‘ Oh servant of Allah, when you offer your prayer, pray like someone who bids farewell and fears that he may never return. Pray in such a manner that as if it was your last prayer. Then, fix your gaze on the point towards your prostration. If you know that there is someone on your left and on your right. You take more care in offering your prayer. And then know that you are standing in front of someone who sees you but you don’t see him.’’
Here is a little dua we all can use in these special nights and that is:
|‘’astaghfiru allaha wa atubu ilayhi أَسْتَغْفِرُ اللّهَ وَأَتُوبُ إلَيْهِ.||أَسْتَغْفِرُ اللّهَ|
I seek the forgiveness of Allah and I repent before Him.’’
Recite this 70 times or 100 or more as you wish along with the sins you want to be forgiven. I’ve tried this myself and it made me realized how we sin and later we brush it off down the carpet not remembering what we did. And we are lost is to how exactly should we ask for forgiveness for them. Well this helps inshAllah. You will have that feeling that you are now speaking and revealing it all to Allah although he already knows but now you are asking for his forgiveness from committing them.
Here are some important points to remember while asking for forgiveness:
- Remember all the sins which you have committed
(a) with all your 7 organs: eyes, ears, tongue, hands, mouth, stomach + private parts OR
(b) some particular sins that you may have committed repeatedly OR
(c) Recalling the variety of punishments of different sins and finally resolve.
And make an intention of never ever commiting them again. That’s a Niyah and it’s very very important. The Prophet (swt) said: Your sins get forgiven only when you make the intention of never ever doing them again.
And finally to end this, Remember Allah loves you. He begins his every verse with love’ Ar Rahman, Ar Raheem’ Ar Rahman for the entire world and Ar Raheem for us the chosen ones. Imagine Allah saying ‘ Where are you going my servant, wasn’t I a good lord to you?. Why are you leaving me, for didn’t I give you rizk, heath, wealth, happiness? Didn’t I aide you when there was no one to aide you? Am I not waiting for you my servant?..Why don’t you turn back my slave. Whatever sins you have done, how much ever you’ve done. Why don’t you turn back to me?’’
I end this here, I hope you all have a blessed Ramadan and we change for the better and find that, that spiritual connection with our Beloved (swt)
Thank you for reading ^_^.